Hi! My name is Emily Helm and I am in my third year at UCF.
My major is in Creative Writing and I have two minors in film and Women’s
Studies. This is my second women’s studies class.
I sort of fell into women’s studies by accident. Last spring
I took Early American Literature class from Dr. Logan. Although I didn’t expect
or intend to be very interested in texts like the captivity narrative of Mary
Rowlandson or the poems Phillis Wheatley, I was completely captivated by Dr.
Logan’s energy and style of teaching. Consequently when it came time to
register for classes in the next semester I enrolled in Dr. Logan’s Advanced
Feminist Theory, thus fulfilling my linguistics requirement for my English degree.
I knew going in that I would enjoy any class instructed by Dr. Logan; what I
did not know was that through being introduced to feminism in an academic
setting I would discover not only what I truly desire to study in college, but
also a way to express myself through activism.
I considered myself a feminist before I took Feminist Theory,
but I’m not sure that I had any kind of working definition for what that meant
in general or what feminism meant to me. Now I view feminism as more than just
a scholarly discipline, more than an ideology, more than mere activism. To me,
feminism is all of these things—feminism must constantly be enacted and
practiced. It does not exist simply in the academic institution; theory must
transcend the textbook or article and pervade the mind of the scholar. It
cannot stop here, however; a feminist must take to the streets. Without
activism and community outreach, theory has no place to go.
I have taken this understanding of the importance of activism
and become involved with clubs and organizations on campus. I joined UCF’s
chapter of VOX, Voices for Planned Parenthood, which got me involved in numerous
projects and other campus-related projects. I got my first glimpse of the
nearly unbearable frustration that can occur while participating in activist
events while phone banking for Planned Parenthood against a Mississippi bill to
illegalize abortion. I spoke to many people who had opposite and infuriating
viewpoints of my own, and who were very resistant to hearing what I had to say.
In another instance I was accused, over the phone, of being a Jewish lesbian, which hit strangely close to home.
As upsetting and startling as these experiences were, they taught me some
very valuable lessons. I learned that one must be patient and understanding and
inoffensive, even in the face of the most trying combatants. I also got my
first real glimpse of the ignorance, judgment, and opposition from anti-feminists
I would be up against in the world. On top of this, it secured in me the
absolute vitality of continuing my investigation into women’s studies, both on
an academic, scholarly level and through more activism. Throughout this
semester my goal will be to learn as much as I can, from the texts I read, from
my peers, and from my own personal experience.
Word Count: 515
I have read and understood the syllabus, and I understand the commitment I have made as a member of this class.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the course. I am so glad you are here! I am also a long-time follower of Dr. Logan and often hope that I will one day be able to do the kind of activism she does in the classroom.
I am struck by your observation that "one must be patient and understanding and inoffensive, even in the face of the most trying combatants" because this seems to me to be at the heart of how I define feminism. There is something underestimated in humility and perseverance.
Thank you for your honest and open letter.