Emily Helm
WST 3015
Prof. Tweed
March 18, 2012
Activism: Thursday
I attended the NOW meeting on campus. We made posters and a banner for the Take
Back the Night event next Thursday, the twenty-second. I made a nice cloth
banner for Take Back the Night. The markers we were using for the banner bled
through the cloth and stained the table, so now I know for next time to put
another paper between the banner and the table surface. I also typed up driving
directions to UCF to give to attendees. Next week I’ll come up with new chants to
use at Take Back the Night. This may be challenging because I want them to
rhyme, but they need to be appropriate.
Reflection: My experience working with NOW UCF
reminds me a lot of Megan Seeley’s “Fight Like a Girl.” In organizing Take Back
the Night, NOW strives to bring together members of the UCF community by
“finding commonalities with one another so that we share the common goal of
ending all discrimination and creating a world where we are not only treated
but also regarded as equal” (Seely 15). NOW does this by allowing all to
realize and reflect on the ways in which violence affects the entire community,
even if one has no personal experience with the issue. A goal of Take Back the
Night is to “stand up and speak out against sexual violence” (History 1), which
is what Seely Means when she says, “we can raise our voices to speak against
injustice” (Seely 16). NOW has done many of the actions Seely lists as tools to
promote Take Back the Night and its message, including tabling, vigils,
rallies, marches, poster awareness, and house parties. I believe NOW has
accomplished Seely’s overall goal in terms of activism—politicizing one’s life
and extending that to community outreach, and has done this while making the
activism process “something that is creative and fun” (Seely 19).
This is where I see NOW UCF and Seely’s approach to
activism hitting a wall. Spreading awareness and gaining community involvement
on an issue are absolutely vital to activism; it is the space from which the
real institutional change emerges—but rallying a community together is only the
beginning. Empowering participants is really important, but their involvement
against the issue needs to be sustained. Creating a situation where people show
up, smile and hold a sign, and go home feeling really good about themselves
isn’t the most productive form of organizing. It’s important to empower people
and then hook them into participating more. If I were to help organize a
similar event in the future, I would hold a group reflection after the event,
or invite them to the next meeting or action; make sure they know that he fight
isn’t over.
Reciprocity: Through
this experience being on a planning committee, I have gained personal
empowerment. I notice a change at NOW meetings in the way other members treat
me. Because I am in a position to organize and give instructions on how to
promote Take Back the Night, I find that others come to me more with questions
on what actions to take. I’ve gained leadership experience and insight into
organizing events on a feminist issue. I’ve realized the importance of
connecting macro-level issues to the community and individual, and of
empowering all participants in an action.
Works Cited
"History." Take
Back The Night. Web. 18 Mar. 2012.
<http://www.takebackthenight.org/history.html>.
Seely, Megan. "Fight Like a Girl." Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist.
New
York: New York UP, 2007. 15-25.
Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment